Miami-Dade County

Woman saves 11-month-old grandson from fire in Little Haiti

A grandmother is being hailed a hero for saving her 11-month-old grandson from a fire at her home in Little Haiti.

Miami Fire Rescue responded to the fire at the triplex at 7332 NW. Second Ave. early Friday morning.

Diana Cooper said she was babysitting her grandson, Zyon, when she heard a pop just after midnight and then saw flames coming from her kitchen area.

"I went to the breaker and turned it off, picked up my grandson and we went out," said Cooper. "The most important thing was just to get him and hold him, make sure I had him, you know."

Luckily, Cooper was awake when the fire started and was able to not just get herself and her grandson out, but also alert her neighbors.

By the time firefighters arrived, the flames had already spread throughout the triplex.

Fire officials said Cooper’s family of six was displaced, but refused any help from the Red Cross.

The fire is believed to have been caused by some sort of electrical problem.

fire

Follow Glenna Milberg on Twitter @GlennaOn10

Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

alt : http://kv.local10.com/p/557781/sp/55778100/download/entry_id/1_kuxiktiv/flavor/1_9nn7zfkohttp://kv.local10.com/p/557781/sp/55778100/download/entry_id/1_kuxiktiv/flavor/1_9nn7zfko

A grandmother is being hailed a hero for saving her 11-month-old grandson from a fire at her home in Little Haiti.

Miami Fire Rescue responded to the fire at the triplex at 7332 NW. Second Ave. early Friday morning.

Diana Cooper said she was babysitting her grandson, Zyon, when she heard a pop just after midnight and then saw flames coming from her kitchen area.

“I went to the breaker and turned it off, picked up my grandson and we went out,” said Cooper. “The most important thing was just to get him and hold him, make sure I had him, you know.”

Luckily, Cooper was awake when the fire started and was able to not just get herself and her grandson out, but also alert her neighbors.

By the time firefighters arrived, the flames had already spread throughout the triplex.

Fire officials said Cooper’s family of six was displaced, but refused any help from the Red Cross.

The fire is believed to have been caused by some sort of electrical problem.

fire

Follow Glenna Milberg on Twitter @GlennaOn10

Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

Link:

Woman saves 11-month-old grandson from fire in Little Haiti

Tags

More…

health news headlines provided courtesy of Medical News Today.
View More Job Search Results